Back in the 1850's it was described as a "dark, mountainous and swampy forest." Early residents were small subsistence farmers and the area we now call Lowry Hill was actually outside of the city of Minneapolis. But when Thomas Lowry arrived in 1867, he platted the first 220 acres (Groveland addition) and Lowry Hill was born! In the #a0d0d2;">1890s, the extension of the electric streetcar along Hennepin Avenue and westward along Douglas Avenue led to a real estate boom in Lowry Hill. The characteristic Lowry Hill streetscape of broad lawns, boulevard shade trees and well-spaced houses was all taking shape by 1900. The standard was, and still is, a spacious two-and one-half story house with generous porches and exterior detail. By 1906, lots on Mount Curve Avenue, Groveland Terrace and nearby blocks were the sites of some of the costliest houses in Minneapolis. After 1910, apartment buildings were built along Hennepin and Franklin Avenues. Lowry Hill residents purchased the 2.32 acre property now known as Thomas Lowry Park to prevent its development. In the 1930s, the pattern of razing the oldest and largest houses or dividing them into rooming houses, established along Hennepin Avenue. In 1946 residents concerned about the deterioration of homes founded Lowry Hill Home Owners Inc. of which LHNA is an outgrowth.
Source: The Lowry Hill Neighborhood Historical Context Study, by Landscape Research LLC, 2006.
According to the 2ooo U.S. Census, the Lowry Hill neighborhood is home to 3,999 residents. 33 percent of residents own their own homes.